Recording Jamescliff Music Publications
If you record yourself or your ensemble and make copies of the recordings, you must obtain a “mechanical license” from the copyright owner or their authorized agent.
To obtain a mechanical license from Jamescliff Music Publishing, submit the following information:
- The title(s) and composer(s)/arranger(s) name of the music you plan to record
- The name of your performing ensemble
- Quantity of CDs, recordings, etc. you plan to produce
- The name, address, telephone, and email address of the “producer” (usually the ensemble’s musical/artistic/executive director); this is the person to whom we send the mechanical license
- Payment of the licensing fees (see rates below)
Statutory Mechanical Royalty Rates
Per copy produced:
$0.091 (9.1 cents) for works 5 minutes in duration or less
$0.0175 (1.75 cents) per minute or fraction thereof, for all works over 5 minutes.
(For example, music with a duration of 6 minutes and 30 seconds would be calculated: 7 times $0.0175 = $0.1225 per copy produced.)
We recommend that you email the requested information before sending payment. Once your information is received, we will confirm the licensing rate to be paid. Email requested information to email@example.com.
When the Mechanical Royalty rate is confirmed, an online payment link will be provided.
- Mechanical licenses must be obtained whether your recording is being sold or distributed for free.
- Often, your CD manufacturer will require you to show licenses for each selection on your CD before they will manufacture them.
- The statutory rate might change over time. The rates shown above, however, are current.
- If you hire a recording service, do not assume that they are securing licenses on your behalf. Check with the recording service first.
- You do not need to obtain a mechanical license if you wish to make a single copy of a recording of a performance by yourself or your ensemble for evaluation and rehearsal purposes, but you cannot make multiple copies without obtaining a mechanical license.